This year’s Super Bowl commercials seemed like a competition of who could produce the most tears. Problem is, I don’t like to cry when I’m watching large helmeted men bash each other. Here are my top 10 spots and 2 bottom feeders.
Top 10 [The Good]
1. Fiat 500X [Crossover Viagra] – Funniest spot. They get extra bonus points since the car is so mediocre. It’s about time someone got the natural male enhancement joke right.
2. Dodge [100 Years old] – Nice twist with 100 year old people selling Challengers to testosterone-challenged young men. Style points for originality.
3. Always [#likeagirl] – In a Super Bowl full of emotional commercials, Always sent the most meaningful, life-changing message.
4. Microsoft [Braylon] – Ok, they got me. Leg prosthetics are not new, but the kid was great.
5. Weight Watchers [Take Back Control] – A really smart, relevant message. Made me want to stop eating my chips and dip. Didn’t work.
6. Squarespace [OM] – The Dude abides for Squarespace. Not that it made me care about squarespace, but you can’t have too much Jeff. Ever.
7. McDonald’s [Pay With Lovin’] – A brilliant way for McDonald’s to distract us from their food.
8. Carnival Cruise [The Sea] – An incredibly noble commercial for an industry famous for dicey kitchens and toilets that back up.
9. Dove Men [Plus Care] – Makes me want to be a sensitive man who bathes regularly.
10. Nissan [With Dad] – Nascar driver isn’t a good dad. Hmmm… makes ad copywriter dads look a lot better.
Bottom 2 [The Bad and The Ugly]
1. Esurance [Sorta Mom] – Awkard Lindsay Lohan appearance. Felt like I was looking at a ghost.
2. Doritos [Middle Seat] – Guy on plane emulates exactly what is wrong with society today. Brand in search of a soul.
Bob Potesky, Partner/Executive Creative Director at The Ramey Agency